Latest News : President al-Assad receives Iranian Assistant Foreign Minister for Arab and African AffairsPeople’s Assembly decides to discharge Mrs. Hadyiah Abbas from her post as SpeakerRussian Air Force destroys vehicles and sites for ISIS in Hama31 persons from Aleppo’s Manbij have their legal status settledPremier Khamis in Homs: Importance of optimal investment of resourcesKosachev: US decision to shut down training program of “Syrian opposition” enhances Russian-US cooperationIndian Foreign Minister: Intensifying meetings to increase cooperation and establish joint projectsArmy intensifies airstrikes on ISIS positions, leaving many terrorists deadUpon directives of President al-Assad, a governmental delegation visits Homs to inspect its economic, service situationSyrian Embassy in Beirut: Abuse of Syrian citizens in Lebanon violates all values, conventions and fraternity relationshipRussian Federation Council ratifies protocol on Russian Air Force deployment in SyriaHigher Education Ministry, WHO discuss cooperation in supporting university hospitalsRussian Defense Ministry: General situation in Syria’s de-escalation zones remains stableArmy’s operations stepped up in Deir Ezzor, ISIS leaders flee al-Mayadin cityAl-Moallem and Jaberi Ansari stress need of deepening coordination in next stage
Cholera outbreak killed 1,500 in Yemen in two months: WHO
2017-07-01 23:06:52

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the cholera outbreak in war-torn Yemen has killed 1,500 people since late April while a total of 246,000 suspected cases of the disease have been reported over the past two months.

WHO’s representative in Yemen, Nevio Zagaria, made the remarks during a Saturday press conference in the capital Sana’a, adding that the number of suspected cases has multiplied tenfold over the past two months.

This is the second rapid outbreak of Cholera in Yemen over the past six months.

According to WHO figures, the number of people killed by cholera in Yemen was 1,300 two weeks ago while the number of suspected cases was over 200,000 people.

The UN health agency said a quarter of those killed by the Cholera outbreak are children.

Last month, the United Nations children’s agency warned that the number of Yemenis infected with cholera would rise to more than 300,000 by the end of August.

Cholera is an acute diarrheal infection that is spread through contaminated food or water. It can be effectively treated with the immediate replacement of lost fluids and salts, but without treatment it can be fatal.

Meanwhile, a two-year Saudi-led war on the Arab world’s poorest country has severely damaged infrastructure and caused medicine shortages in Yemen.

Yemenis suspected of being infected with cholera receive treatment at a makeshift hospital in Sana'a on May 25, 2017.

Cholera infection first became epidemic in Yemen last October and spread until December, when it dwindled. The second outbreak began in the Arabian Peninsula country on April 27.

Latest UN figures show that the conflict in Yemen has left 18.8 million of the country's 28 million population in need of humanitarian aid and almost seven million on the brink of famine.

Yemen cholera cases could surpass 300k: UN

 


 

Home News Business From the Media Videos اللغة العربية