Latest News : Chief of General Staff inspects army positions in Hama’s northern countrysidePeople’s Assembly salutes Syrian army’s achievements over terrorist organizationsMikdad to Krahenbuhl: Calls for changing Palestinian curricula part of Israeli efforts to liquidate Palestinian causeArmy eliminates ISIS group in Damascus countryside, continues operations in other areas in the countryArmy destroys terrorists’ gatherings weapons depots in many areasSyrian Arab Republic delegation concludes session of talks with de MisturaAround 2000 displaced families start to return to al-Ziabiyeh town in Damascus CountrysideArmy establishes control on Kawkab town in Hama, kills large number of terrorists Russian food aid distributed in Jableh countryside in Lattakia Army General Command: Army reclaimed all points and blocks of buildings north of Jobar after eliminating hundreds of al-Nusra terrorists A child injured in terrorist mortar attack in DamascusSyrian Arab Republic delegation to hold session of talks with de MisturaPress conference hold with Bashar Al-jaafari in Jeneva. Borodavkin: Those who violate the cessation of hostilities agreement will face unenviable destinyArmy kills several ISIS terrorists, destroys two fortified points in Deir Ezzor
Human Rights Watch (HRW): Saudi, US, UK shamed in HRW Yemen report
2017-01-16 12:20:36

 

Human Rights Watch (HRW) has blamed the Saudi regime for thousands of civilian deaths since the onset of its aerial and ground campaign against Yemeni, which is strongly supported by Riyadh’s allies, particularly the US and the UK.

In its annual report, the New York-based rights group said at least 4,125 civilians were killed and 7,207 others wounded between March 26, 2015, when the Saudi war began, and October 10, 2016.

The report also slammed Riyadh’s military and the countries assisting it in the war for using internationally-banned weapons in their attacks against civilian targets.

    According to the report, HRW had identified “six types of air-dropped and ground-launched cluster munitions in multiple locations in Yemen, including those produced in the US and Brazil. Amnesty International has further documented the use of UK-made cluster munitions.”

Saudi Arabia unleashed the warfare to reinstall Yemen’s former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur, a dedicated Riyadh-allied figure.

The kingdom has been providing air cover to ground operations by its mercenaries operating against Yemeni armed forces.

The report further said the war “has been supported by the United States and the United Kingdom,” naming the world powers as two “key international actors” in the offensive.

    “The US has been a party to the conflict since the first months of fighting, providing targeting intelligence and in-air refueling,” the report noted.

Yemen’s army has joined forces with the country’s Houthi Ansarullah movement to defend the nation against the bombardments. They have also been staging repeated retaliatory attacks against Saudi-allied militants on Yemeni soil and Saudi border regions.

“US and UK lawmakers, whose governments altogether approved more than $20 billion and $4 billion worth of weapons sales, respectively to Saudi Arabia in 2015 alone, have increasingly challenged the continuation of these sales,” the report added.

The report also highlights the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen, saying over 80 percent of the country’s population need humanitarian, while the Saudi military prevents relief supplies from reaching civilians.

According to figures compiled last year by the Legal Center for Rights and Development, a Yemeni non-governmental monitoring group, the Saudi offensive has so far claimed 11,403 lives and left 19,343 others wounded.

 


 

Home News Business From the Media Videos اللغة العربية